Many people ride bicycles for exercise, recreation, or transportation to school or work. Unfortunately, a typical bike ride can quickly turn tragic when a careless motorist causes a crash. At Kreger Brodish LLP, our Durham bicycle accident lawyers have extensive experience representing injured cyclists in these cases. We demand total financial compensation for medical expenses, lost income, future anticipated expenses, pain and suffering, and other related losses.
Our attorneys will quickly get to work on your case. First, we’ll investigate the accident, gather all the evidence, document the full extent of your losses, and help you find specialized medical care if you need it. Then, we will use our knowledge and resources to craft a tailored strategy to secure your desired results. Throughout the legal process, we’ll be there for you, answering any questions about your rights and explaining what to expect in your case.
How Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Durham, NC Can Help
If you have been seriously injured in a bicycle accident in Durham, North Carolina, let Kreger Brodish LLP attorneys help you hold those at fault accountable. Our law firm can handle every aspect of pursuing your claim for compensation, including:
- Thoroughly investigating the facts and circumstances of the accident to determine how the crash occurred and to identify every party that can be held liable.
- Collaborating with accident reconstruction and other expert witnesses, when necessary, to craft persuasive arguments to show how the other party caused the accident and your injuries, as well as the extent of the losses you have sustained
- Presenting your demand for compensation to the insurance companies and aggressively negotiating for a settlement that pays you fair and full compensation
- Filing a bicycle accident lawsuit and pursuing your case to trial, if needed, to fight for the best possible results for you
Refrain from putting off getting legal advice after a bicycle accident. We will review your case for free, with no obligation to you. You only pay us if we recover compensation for your bicycle accident claim.
Pursuing Full Compensation for Bike Accident Victims in Durham, North Carolina
When you are hurt in a bike accident caused by a negligent driver or someone else, you can fight to hold the responsible party liable for the expenses and losses you have incurred. This includes:
- Costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation, including ER and hospital visits, surgeries, physical/occupational therapy, prescriptions, and medical equipment
- Costs of long-term care if your injuries leave you with permanent disabilities or other chronic health conditions that require professional care
- Loss of wages or income when you miss work while recovering from an accident
- Loss of future earnings if you are unable to go back to your job or any kind of employment
- Costs to repair or replace your bicycle or other property that was damaged in the accident
- Pain and suffering and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life because of disabilities, visible scarring or disfigurement, or reduced life expectancy
You cannot trust an insurance adjuster to tell you the full value of your case. Their job is to minimize payouts and deny claims whenever possible. Instead, turn to a Durham, North Carolina bicycle accident lawyer to look out for you and fight for maximum compensation in your case.
What is The Statute of Limitation for Filing a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit in Durham, NC?
After a bicycle accident, the statute of limitations under North Carolina law typically gives you only three years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you wait too long to take action, you risk your case being dismissed.
Investigating bicycle accidents and preparing a legal claim requires significant time and legal work. Your attorney will need to review all the evidence from the accident scene, document the full extent of your losses over time, and consult with expert witnesses, if necessary. In addition, evidence can become lost or destroyed as time goes on. So the sooner you start consulting with a Durham bicycle accident lawyer, the better.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Durham?
When you are facing medical bills and other financial difficulties due to being injured on a bicycle and unable to work, you may be nervous about the cost of hiring a lawyer. However, with the experienced personal injury lawyers at Kreger Brodish LLP, you do not pay any fees upfront for our law firm to start work on your legal claim. Instead, we only get a price when we secure compensation for you through a negotiated settlement or by winning your case at trial.
What to Do If You Are a Bicycle Accident Victim
If you get into a bicycle accident, you should take the following steps to help protect your options for pursuing a claim for compensation from those responsible:
- You or someone you know should take photos or video of the accident scene, including damage to your bicycle and other vehicles, traffic controls and signals, and weather or lighting conditions.
- Seek medical attention at the accident scene or as soon as possible after the wreck. Take photos of any visible injuries.
- Follow any treatment instructions your doctors or other providers give you. Do not put off treating any injuries you suffered in the accident.
- Keep copies of bills or invoices for expenses you incur due to the accident. Also, have copies of your pay stubs or tax returns on hand if you miss time from work or lose income after the accident.
- Start a journal to record the difficulties that your injuries cause and the changes in your quality of life.
- Don’t discuss the accident, injuries, or bicycle accident claim on social media. Also, avoid posting photos or videos of yourself engaging in activities if you are still treating injuries. Insurance companies often monitor victims’ social media accounts for posts they can cite as contradicting an injured accident victim’s claim.
Speak to a Durham bicycle accident attorney from our firm to discuss your legal rights and what steps you need to take to begin pursuing compensation in your case.
Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle riders often tend to suffer serious personal injuries, especially in crashes involving motor vehicles. Common injuries that occur in bike crashes include:
- Road rash or skin abrasions
- Broken bones
- Dislocated joints
- Ligament sprains and tears
- Tendon and muscle sprains or tears
- Nerve damage
- Spinal disc herniation
- Spinal cord injury and paralysis
- Internal organ injuries and internal bleeding
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic amputation
- Head and facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Severe lacerations
Common Causes of Bike Accidents in Durham, NC
Some of the most frequent causes of bike accidents in North Carolina include:
- Speeding or driving too fast for the conditions
- Passing too close to a bicycle
- Unsafe turns and lane changes, including failing to signal or check mirrors and blind spots
- Running red lights or stop signs, or disregarding traffic signals and controls
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Inexperienced drivers
- Poor road conditions or unsafe road/intersection design
- Auto part defects
- Bicycle part defects
- Inadequate vehicle maintenance
Get Help from a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Durham, NC Now
Don’t delay starting the process of pursuing a personal injury claim. Contact Kreger Brodish LLP today for a free, no-obligation consultation with a compassionate Durham bicycle accident lawyer. We’re ready to listen to your story and share how we can help you with your case.