In North Carolina, traffic laws are designed to keep pedestrians safe. But when a careless driver fails to follow the rules of the road, a devastating accident can leave a pedestrian with life-altering injuries and disabilities. An injured victim may also face substantial financial strain due to the medical care they need and an inability to work.
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Durham, North Carolina, you might be entitled to recover compensation for your expenses and losses. A Durham pedestrian accident lawyer from Kreger Brodish LLP law firm can help. For more than a decade, our attorneys have advocated for the rights and interests of injured pedestrians. We understand the overwhelming frustration and anxiety people often feel after being hurt in crashes that weren’t their fault. Let our firm take care of all the details in your pedestrian accident case so that you can focus on your recovery.
Reach out to Kreger Brodish LLP today for a free initial case evaluation with a trusted Durham pedestrian accident lawyer. We’ll explain your legal options and quickly begin work to build a strong case for maximum compensation. Then, you can rest easy knowing that you will never owe our firm any fees unless we win compensation for you in your injury case.
How a Durham Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, your top priorities should be getting attentive medical care and taking the time to recover physically and emotionally. Let a Durham pedestrian accident lawyer from Kreger Brodish LLP handle all the aspects of preparing and pursuing your legal claim for compensation, including:
- Investigating the accident, including recovering evidence such as accident scene photos, police reports, surveillance or traffic camera footage, and witness statements
- Collaborating with accident reconstruction experts when necessary to develop a persuasive case to show how the crash occurred and who bears responsibility for your injuries
- Document your bills, invoices, and other losses to determine how much compensation will be needed to provide you with a fair and full financial recovery.
- Filing your claims with the insurance companies and aggressively pursuing negotiations to try to reach a fair settlement on your behalf
- Taking your case to trial, if necessary, to demand the best possible result for you
What Do You Do After a Pedestrian Accident?
After you have been hurt in a pedestrian accident in Durham, North Carolina, you can take steps to protect your legal options for recovering compensation. Actions to take after a pedestrian accident include:
- Report the accident to law enforcement and save a copy of the police crash report.
- Get the names and contact information of everyone involved. Also, get the names and contact details of any witnesses.
- Take photos or videos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, skid marks or debris on the road, traffic signals and crosswalk lines at the scene, and weather and lighting conditions at the time of the accident.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible to have any injuries diagnosed by a medical professional. Take photos of visible injuries. Follow any treatment instructions and do not delay attending any recommended medical appointments.
- Keep copies of medical bills and other invoices for expenses you incur, as well as your pay stubs or income statements if you suffer lost income following the accident.
- Avoid posting about the accident, your injuries, or your legal claim on social media, as any information you share could be used against your case.
- Do not state the driver’s insurance company without speaking to an attorney.
- Work with an experienced Durham, North Carolina, pedestrian accident lawyer who can protect your rights and demand the maximum compensation you need to recover.
What Are Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A pedestrian has virtually no protection from a collision with a motor vehicle. As a result, pedestrian accidents tend to lead to catastrophic, life-changing injuries. Some of the most common examples of injuries suffered by pedestrians in accidents include the following:
- Head and facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones
- Herniated spinal discs
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Nerve damage
- Dislocated joints
- Ligament sprains, muscle/tendon strains, and soft-tissue tear
- Internal organ injuries and internal bleeding
- Traumatic amputation
- Lacerations, road rash, and abrasions
What Are the Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Durham?
Some of the most frequent causes of pedestrian accidents in Durham include the following:
- Speeding or driving too fast for the conditions
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Driving under the influence
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and intersections
- Unsafe turns, including failing to signal or check intersections for pedestrians
- Unsafe intersection/crosswalk design
- Poor road conditions
- Adverse weather conditions
- Night driving
- Inexperienced drivers
- Auto defects
Our skilled personal injury legal team will thoroughly investigate your wreck to determine precisely what happened to cause it. We will then identify every possible source of compensation for you.
How Your Own Insurance Coverage Could Help
Usually, you would pursue compensation in a pedestrian accident from the insurance company of the driver who hit you. However, you might turn to your auto insurance policy for compensation under certain circumstances. Auto insurance policies will typically provide coverage for a wreck you were injured in as a pedestrian because coverage is usually triggered by any motor vehicle-related accident.
For example, suppose you have purchased MedPay coverage in your auto insurance policy. You can use that to cover your medical expenses, regardless of who caused the accident and your injuries. However, if the at-fault driver does not have sufficient insurance coverage to compensate you for all your expenses and losses fully, or if the driver does not have any insurance coverage, you might also be eligible to file a claim under the uninsured motorist (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage in your auto policy. With UM or UIM coverage, your insurer effectively steps in for the at-fault driver’s insurance company, paying you the compensation you would usually be entitled to recover from the other party’s insurer.
Time Limit for Filing a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit in North Carolina
The Statute of Limitations in North Carolina gives you three years to file a lawsuit for a pedestrian accident injury. If you wait too long to take legal action, if you let the time limit pass, you risk losing the right to recover compensation for your injuries and losses.
This makes it critical to speak to a Durham pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible. Investigating and preparing a legal claim in support of your case requires a great deal of time and work. You can give yourself the best chance at a successful outcome by seeking legal advice immediately.
Pursuing Compensation After a Pedestrian Accident
When you have suffered injuries from a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your expenses and losses. At the law firm of Kreger Brodish LLP, our Durham pedestrian accident lawyers will demand full payment on your behalf. This may include:
- Costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation of injuries, including surgery, physical therapy, and prescription medications
- Costs of long-term care for permanent disabilities caused by the injuries you suffered in a pedestrian accident
- Loss of income and lost wages from missed work while recovering from a pedestrian accident
- Loss of future earning ability due to long-term injuries or disabilities
- Physical pain and emotional distress caused by your injuries and subsequent treatment
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life due to disabilities or disfigurement/scarring
Our firm also helps North Carolina families who have suffered a devastating loss in a fatal pedestrian accident. Families facing these circumstances should not be forced to bear the financial burden left by the unjust loss of a loved one. Our attorneys help families pursue justice through wrongful death claims in these cases.
Talk to a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Durham, NC Now
Get the legal advice you need after a serious pedestrian accident. Contact the law firm of Kreger Brodish LLP today for a free, no-obligation consultation with a Durham pedestrian accident lawyer. We will explain your best options for pursuing fair and full financial recovery for your injuries and losses. And there are no legal fees unless we recover payment for you.