In North Carolina, property owners are expected to maintain their premises to keep them free of hazards that might cause an accident and injure visitors. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident on somebody else’s property, you may be entitled to recover compensation for the harm and losses you have endured. A Durham slip and fall lawyer can help you understand your legal rights during this stressful time.
For over a decade, Kreger Brodish LLP has worked tirelessly to provide aggressive legal representation for people who have been harmed due to property owners’ negligence. We have the skills and the resources to hold deep-pocketed property owners accountable. From the moment you start working with us, we’ll begin identifying all possible sources of compensation, documenting your injuries and losses, and assisting you with getting the medical care you need. Throughout the process, our attentive team will make sure your questions are always answered and your needs are addressed.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, reach out to our law firm today for a free initial consultation with a Durham slip and fall lawyer. We do not charge any fees upfront or out of pocket to start work on your case. In fact, we don’t get paid unless we recover money for you.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Slip and Fall Claim?
Just because you slipped and fell on someone else’s property does not automatically mean that you are entitled to recover compensation. To successfully obtain a financial recovery in a slip and fall claim, you will need to prove that you were lawfully visiting the property where you fell and that your fall was caused by a dangerous or defective condition of the property. You will also need to prove that the property owner or occupier either knew about or should have known about the condition that caused you to slip and fall, and they failed to either fix it or warn you. Finally, you will also need to show that you have suffered expenses or losses that you can be financially compensated for.
How Can a Durham, NC Slip and Fall Attorney Help?
If you believe you may have a claim to financial recovery after suffering injuries on someone else’s property, a Durham slip and fall attorney from Kreger Brodish LLP can help with your case by:
- Recovering and preserving evidence, including accident scene photos, surveillance video footage of the fall, accident/incident reports, and eyewitness statements
- Retaining accident reconstruction and engineering experts where necessary to help prepare persuasive arguments for your case
- Documenting the losses that you have incurred because of your injuries
- Aggressively negotiating for a fair and full settlement on your behalf
- Pursuing your claims in court if litigation represents the best option for pursuing the compensation you need and deserve
Demanding Fair Compensation After a Slip and Fall Accident
Following a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation for expenses and other losses you have suffered. At Kreger Brodish LLP, our attorneys will demand fair compensation on your behalf for losses such as:
- Medical bills for treatment and rehabilitation you receive for your injuries
- Long-term care expenses if you have suffered catastrophic injuries that result in permanent disabilities
- Lost wages or income if you cannot work due to injuries or disabilities that you sustained in the accident
- Physical pain and emotional distress from your injuries and subsequent treatment
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life from disabilities or visible scarring/disfigurement
Understanding How NC Contributory Negligence Law May Affect Your Case
Victims of slip and fall accidents in North Carolina often must contend with the state’s contributory negligence law. The law states that an injured victim is barred from recovering compensation for losses if they bear any share of fault for causing the accident or their injuries.
As a result, if the evidence shows that you bear even 1 percent of fault for the accident or your injuries, you cannot pursue a claim for compensation. This can become important in slip and fall cases where the property owner may try to argue that you failed to exercise due caution while walking over a hazard or that your clothing or footwear contributed to the fall.
Our skilled slip and fall attorneys know how insurance companies and property owners try to push blame onto victims. We will fight fiercely against any assertions that you are partly to blame.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Some of the most frequent causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Puddles of water or liquid
- Spilled food
- Slippery or slick floors
- Mud or decaying leaves
- Freshly mopped or waxed floors
- Torn or loose carpeting, rugs, or mats
- Broken hardwood or tile flooring
- Low lighting
- Uneven pavement or sidewalks
- Broken or missing stairs or handrails
- Unmarked steps
- Lack of caution or warning signs
- Snow and ice
Common Places Where Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
Although slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, falls more frequently occur at certain public places, such as:
- Bars, clubs, and restaurants
- Grocery stores
- Shopping centers and malls
- Department and hardware stores
- Parking lots and garages
- Swimming pools
- Amusement parks
- Recreational parks
- Office buildings and office parks
- Apartment/townhome complexes
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Fall
If you have been injured in a slip and fall, you should take the following steps to protect your options for recovering compensation:
- Notify the property owner of the accident. If the accident occurs on commercial property and the business prepares an accident or incident report, request a copy for your records.
- If possible, take photos of the accident scene, including what may have caused you to slip and fall, the presence of any warning or caution signs, lighting conditions, and weather conditions (if relevant).
- Preserve or take photos of your clothing and footwear.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible to have a doctor diagnose any injuries you suffered in the fall.
- Follow your treatment instructions and do not put off any procedures or rehabilitation care recommended by your physicians.
- Keep copies of your medical bills or records of other expenses you incurred due to the accident, as well as your pay stubs or income statements if you miss time from work.
- Speak to a Durham slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible to go over your legal rights and options for pursuing your case.
Time Limit for Filing a Slip and Fall Lawsuit in North Carolina
In North Carolina, the statute of limitations usually gives you only three years from the date of a slip and fall accident to file a lawsuit against a property owner or other liable party. Waiting too long to take action means risking having your case permanently dismissed by the court.
You should not wait until the last minute to begin preparing your slip and fall case. Preparing a legal claim requires a great deal of work, including a thorough investigation of the accident, collaborating with accident reconstruction experts, and documenting your losses and expenses. A Durham slip and fall lawyer from Kreger Brodish LLP can start work on your case today to ensure no important deadlines are missed.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Slip and Fall Attorney in Durham?
If you are concerned about the cost of hiring an attorney to help you after a slip and fall accident in Durham, turn to the law firm of Kreger Brodish LLP. With our firm, you will never need to pay any fees upfront to hire our Durham slip and fall attorneys for your case. We are only paid when we win compensation for you through a negotiated settlement or by securing a verdict in your favor at trial. That way, you don’t face any financial risk when you begin the process of pursuing your legal claim.
Talk to a Durham Slip and Fall Attorney Now
When you have been injured by a slip and fall accident, don’t delay seeking financial recovery for the expenses and losses you incur. Contact Kreger Brodish LLP today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation with a Durham slip and fall attorney from our team. We can walk you through what to expect and help you get on the road to recovery.