Were you injured in a car accident in Durham? Was the other driver distracted, intoxicated, aggressive, or otherwise negligent? If so, you could hold them accountable for the harm you’ve suffered and the unexpected medical bills you’ve incurred. This could include compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, car repairs or replacement, pain and suffering, and more. Don’t let someone else’s poor decisions set you back. Instead, let an experienced Durham car accident lawyer help you demand justice.
At Kreger Brodish LLP, our trial attorneys have represented car crash victims in Durham and North Carolina for over a decade. We understand the stress that injured crash victims face, and we work to take that off you. You can expect personalized and compassionate attention from our Durham car accident attorneys and support staff when you work with us. Your only focus should be on your recovery. Let us take care of the rest.
Contact us today for a free consultation with our trusted Durham car accident attorneys. There is no charge unless we recover payment for you.
How Can Our Durham Car Accident Lawyers Help You?
You have a lot on your plate after a severe car crash. You may be scrambling to get to a doctor and figuring out how to pay your bills while missing work. A Durham auto accident attorney from Kreger Brodish LLP can help you understand your options and make a plan for getting back on your feet.
Our savvy legal team will manage all the details of your car accident injury claim by:
- Thoroughly investigating the facts and circumstances of the accident to determine how the crash occurred and identify all possible sources of compensation.
- Bringing in expert witnesses in fields such as accident reconstruction or medicine to help us prepare persuasive arguments in support of your case
- Documenting the full extent of your losses, including future anticipated losses and intangible losses such as pain and suffering
- Vigorously negotiating with insurers to try to reach a settlement that pays you fair and full compensation for your losses.
- Pursuing your case in court if that is what’s necessary to get justice for you
Be sure to get the legal advice you need. Contact our Durham car accident attorneys today for a free consultation on your injury claim.
Pursuing Fair Compensation in a Car Accident Claim
Car accidents must be analyzed before accurately telling you what your claim is worth. It would help if you had time to heal and understand how your injuries will affect you in the long term. As we assess your losses, we will take into account compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses for treatment and rehabilitation
- Long-term care medical expenses if you suffer permanent disabilities or other chronic health conditions because of your injuries.
- Loss of wages or income when you miss work during your recovery
- Loss of future earning capacity if you cannot return to your pre-accident job because of permanent disabilities
- Damage to your car or the value of the vehicle if it was totaled in the crash
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost quality of life
In the most tragic cases, we help families who have lost a loved one in fatal motor vehicle accidents. Although no money can compensate for the loss of life, compensation for wrongful death can help families recover financially.
What Is North Carolina’s Pure Contributory Negligence Law?
North Carolina’s pure contributory negligence law can place a heavy burden on car accident victims. The North Carolina law states that an injured party may not recover compensation for their losses if they bear any share of fault for those injuries. Therefore, even if you are found to be only 1 percent at fault for the auto accident that caused your injuries, the contributory negligence rule will bar you from recovering compensation from the party that was 99 percent at fault.
This makes it critical to seek assistance from an experienced car accident lawyer in North Carolina. An attorney can build a persuasive case to show that you bear no responsibility for the accident and your injuries.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Durham?
When you are facing expenses after motor vehicle accidents, such as repair bills for your vehicle or invoices for medical treatment, you may want to avoid taking on additional costs. Fortunately, with Kreger Brodish LLP, you owe no upfront fees to hire a Durham car accident lawyer to help with your case. We only get paid legal fees when we win financial compensation for you through a negotiated settlement or a verdict at trial.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Car Crash in Durham
If you have been hurt in a car crash in Durham, you should take steps to preserve your legal options for financial recovery.
- Get medical treatment – See a doctor as soon as possible to diagnose and begin treating your injuries. Follow your doctor’s instructions, including getting the diagnostic tests you need and attending all follow-up appointments.
- Write down names and contact details – Get the full name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, and insurance information for all drivers. Also get the full names, addresses, and phone numbers for all passengers, pedestrians, witnesses, and vehicle owners.
- Save all evidence – This includes any photos or video that you took at the accident scene, as well as a copy of the police accident report. Write down the details of what happened while the crash is fresh in your mind. This includes which direction the vehicles were going, what the weather conditions were like, what the time of day was, whether any driver appeared to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, etc.
- Refrain from giving a statement to the insurance company ─ Anything you say could be used against you.
- Stay off social media – Insurance companies often monitor accident victims’ social media accounts for posts they can use to discredit their claims.
- Talk to a lawyer ─ A skilled attorney will work quickly to preserve evidence and take over all communication with the at-fault party and insurance company.
What You Need to Know about Dealing with Insurance Companies
Car insurance adjusters may reach out to you soon after the accident. However, remember that the adjusters you speak with work for the insurance company’s interests, not yours.
Things to keep in mind when dealing with insurers after a car crash include the following:
- Keep detailed records of all communications and transactions you have with the insurance company, including who you talk to when you talk to them and what was said.
- Decline to give a formal statement to the insurance company until you have had a chance to consult with a car accident lawyer.
- Do not sign any documents presented to you by the insurance company unless your attorney has reviewed them.
- Get a Durham car accident lawyer on your behalf as soon as possible.
What Is The Time Limit for Filing a Car Accident Lawsuit in North Carolina?
According to the Statute of Limitations in North Carolina, you typically have only three years from the date of a car accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. Even though you have three years to file a case, you should get started by talking to a Durham car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Preparing an effective car accident claim requires a lot of legal legwork, including investigating the accident, collaborating with expert witnesses, and documenting your losses. Therefore, the sooner you get legal advice, the better.
What Are Some Common Car Accident Injuries in Durham, NC?
Injuries commonly suffered in North Carolina car crashes include:
- Bone fractures
- Sprain, strains, and tears
- Neck and back injuries
- Nerve damage
- Crush injuries
- Internal organ injuries and bleeding
What Are Common Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents in Durham?
Some of the most frequent causes of car crashes in North Carolina include:
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Aggressive/reckless driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Disregarding traffic signs/controls such as red lights or stop signs
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Failing to check mirrors or blind spots when turning, changing lanes, or backing up
- Inexperienced drivers
- Auto part defects
- Inadequate vehicle maintenance
- Unsafe road or intersection design
- Poor road conditions, including potholes or debris
Common Types of Car Crashes in Durham, North Carolina
Our North Carolina car accident law firm handles a wide range of claims involving:
Car Accident FAQs
Yes. Contacting the police provides a permanent record of the accident and allows for an immediate investigation of the scene by the police officer. Even in seemingly minor accidents, it can be beneficial to call the police, as you may need a permanent record of the accident for an insurance claim or lawsuit.
You should go to the doctor if you have any signs of injuries. A seemingly minor pain can turn out to be a major injury. The doctor may recognize injuries, sometimes serious, that are not apparent to you.
Too often, people ignore aches or pains and do not seek medical help until a lot of time has passed. Delaying medical treatment is not only bad for your health, it also makes it more difficult to prove that the injury you suffered resulted from your accident.
If you are unsure whether you should seek medical treatment after your auto accident, call your doctor or talk with a North Carolina personal injury attorney.
Most auto insurance policies require a policyholder to promptly report an accident (regardless of fault) to the insurance company. Failure to report your auto accident, in certain circumstances, could result in a loss of coverage for your accident (if you need to use your own insurance).
A Durham car accident attorney from our firm can help you manage communication with your own insurance company as well as the at-fault driver’s insurer to prevent you from saying anything that could hurt your case.
You should avoid accepting blame, or apologizing, for the accident when speaking to the other driver or the other driver’s insurance company. If you need a legal opinion on who is at fault for your accident, then set up a free consultation with a Durham car accident injury attorney from our firm. We will investigate your claim and give you our legal opinion on who is at fault for the accident.
Talk to a Car Accident Lawyer in Durham, NC Now
If you’ve been injured in a car crash in Durham through no fault, contact Kreger Brodish LLP today for a free initial consultation. A Durham auto accident lawyer from our firm will be ready to discuss your wreck’s specifics and rights. If you choose to hire us, we’ll represent you at no cost and will only collect a fee when we recover fair compensation.